Monday 25 February 2013

Dog or God

A few days back, I was just coming out of my meditation early in the morning and I caught sight of my dog intently looking at me through the french windows. While I was lost in my meditative state looking for the divine, here he was looking at me and wondering what I was up to searching in all sorts of places. A fleeting thought crossed my mind. What if to him I was God and he was gazing intently at me to get a sense of the divine. The next thought followed swiftly behind. Or what if he was Him come down to be with me and look after me and remind me to live in the here and now.
You could say, hey, he was just waiting for you to take him for a walk. Don't read too much into that incident. I could brush it off and refuse to dwell on those passing thoughts and go on with my life. But the thoughts did pop in and the possibility of either being true is very real. Who is to categorically say one way or the other?
But now when I look at Alfie (my dog), I wonder, is there something behind those eyes that I have not been aware of till now? The Dog is a supremely wonderful example of how we should live. He is happy when someone is around to play with him and he gives us all his attention that time. When no one is around he is absolutely contented to just lie down and sleep. Even if it is for the whole day and night. He lives completely in the moment. He doesn't hold grudges. Your nice to him, he is good to you. You ignore him, he is still good to you. You are rude and angry with him, he just waits till you subside and he's back at your side. Ever willing to give you a lick or two and let you know that you are still loved and at the center of his universe.
He teaches us how to live and I am supposed to be his master. Who is the Master and who the pupil?
IMG00975-20121018-0920

No comments:

Post a Comment